Date:      Wed, 6 Dec 2006 11:23:03 +0100
From:      Ulf Lilleengen <lulf@stud.ntnu.no>
To:        Eric Germann <ekgermann@cctec.com>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating a server with Vinum

On man, des 04, 2006 at 04:00:28 -0500, Eric Germann wrote:
> I've got an old server I'm looking to slap -CURRENT on.  It has a RAID5
> Vinum array and is running 4.3R (yes I know, really old ...)
>
> My question is this:  If I bring it up into the 6.x train of either -STABLE
> or -CURRENT, will the new vinum drivers recognize the old config written to
> the drives?  Of course backup is important, but just curious how it would
> handle this.  It would be nice not to have to recreate it and restore it.

Gvinum uses the same parts and the same format on the configuration as vinum and
should be fully backwards-compatible. If not, that is a bug in gvinum. A
difference will be that the volumes are in /dev/gvinum and not in /dev/vinum as
before. Other than that, gvinum in RELENG_6 is decent from my experience.

As you said, just take backup :)

--
Ulf Lilleengen