Date:      Thu, 06 Mar 1997 16:21:07 -0500
From:      Dan Cross <tenser@spitfire.ecsel.psu.edu>
To:        budzyn@clunix.cl.msu.edu (Joe Budzyn)
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD lpd Security Vulnerability (fwd)

> > When this patch is applied, nslookup breaks.  It needs to be recompiled to
> > work.  Is there anything else that might break?
>
> I doubt the two are related.  Did you upgrade anything else in your source
> tree between the time you installed and the time you rebuilt libc?

I had previously done a make world with the latest 2.1.7 code.  After the
patch and libc recompile, nslookup broke.  Simply recompiling nslookup
fixed it.  I did nothing else to the source inbetween.

That's incredibly odd.  Nslookup(1) doesn't touch rcmd.c at all.  Not
to belabour the point, but are you absolutely SURE that nothing else
touched the source tree in between the time you did the make world and
when you applied the patch to rcmd.c?  I'm not saying I don't believe
you, I just can't fathom how Warner's change could have bothered
nslookup(1) at all...  :-)  I'm betting there's another explanation...

	- Dan C.