Date:      Thu, 02 Dec 2004 17:16:14 +0100
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@fer.hr>
To:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: More geom classes?

Terje Elde wrote:

 > ggate would be one option, but it'd be much nicer to have it as a
 > 'real' geom module.

It would, but I don't know enough to make a kernel module.

 >> A password will still be required, for generating the random sequence...
 >

 > *cringe*
 >
 > The only point of using such a XOR is to end up with an effective OTP
(One
 > Time Pad).  If you use a password as seed for a simple PRNG, then you're
 > throwing away all the gain, and would be better off with GEOM BDE
instead.

 > FreeBSD 5 has a seemingly very good yarrow-based entropy source.  Why
not use
 > that?

I think I misunderstood something. Do you propose this (for 2 disks):

for each block to be written:
a) generate a block of random data
b) write random data to first disk
c) write random data xor user data to second disk

So, as long as any person has both disks, the data can be recovered.
Where's the security in that?