Date:      Fri, 10 Jan 2020 10:30:29 -0800
From:      Ravi Pokala <rpokala@freebsd.org>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Console redirection for UEFI and IPMI-SOL

Hi folks,

I'm trying to bring 12.1-RELEASE up on a new hardware platform. The system =
will boot from an NVMe device, so it must boot using UEFI.

I've installed UEFI-based systems several times before, without any trouble=
. But for those previous platforms, the VGA console was all I needed; on thi=
s new platform, I need a serial console, using IPMI Serial-Over-LAN. I've se=
t up SOL plenty of times before too... but only on BIOS-based systems. It's =
the combination of UEFI+SOL which seems to be causing me problems.

When I boot, I see output from loader.efi on both the VGA and the SOL conso=
les; they report the console type as "efi". When the kernel starts running, =
I only see the output on the VGA console, not the SOL console. My ideal conf=
iguration -- which is what I have on my BIOS-based systems -- is:

- bootloader on both VGA console and SOL console
- kernel output on both VGA console and SOL console
- single-user prompt on whichever I selected as the primary (first in the '=
console' list in /boot/loader.conf)
- login prompts on both consoles after `getty' has started.

=EF=BB=BFOn the aforementioned previous BIOS+SOL systems, /boot/loader.conf conta=
ins the following:

| boot_serial=3D"YES"
| console=3D"comconsole vidconsole"
| kern.vty=3D"vt" # 10.x; different on 12.1?
| hw.vga.textmode=3D"1"

When I used those same settings on the UEFI systems, loader.efi complains a=
bout "vidconsole" not being valid, and I got no more output anywhere. Changi=
ng that to "efi" let me get the kernel messages on the VGA console, but stil=
l nothing on the SOL.

I'm happy to provide more info about the platform; just tell me what comman=
ds to run to gather it.

Thanks,

Ravi (rpokala@)