Date:      Mon, 23 Sep 2002 16:04:08 +0000
From:      "Mac McEuen" <mcmac@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Change NIC address

I'm hoping someone out there has discovered the solution for changing the IP
address assignment.
We are moving to a new ISP.  The IP address of the mail server has to
change.
After updating /etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts files, a restart, and cable move
to new router-
The (partial) response to: netstat -rn

Routing tables

Internet:
Destination        Gateway            Flags    Refs      Use  Netif Expire
default            xxx.xxx.xxx.192     UGSc        0        0   sis0
xxx.xxx.xxx.192     ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff  UHLWb       1        0   sis0 =>
xxx.xxx.xxx..192/27  link#1             UC          2        0   sis0
xxx.xxx.xxx..199     0:0:0:0:0:0        UHLW        4        8    lo0
127.0.0.1          127.0.0.1          UH          0        0    lo0

What needs to be done to get the kernel to read the MAC address on the NIC?
I'm missing something...but what?

The ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff is wrong but I'm still new enough at this that I'm
not sure how to update/fix this. Google and FreeBSD searches have a couple
of
articles but no specific resolutions.

System log:
arp: 00:00:xx:xx:xx:xx attempts to modify permanent entry for
xxx.xxx.xxx.192 on sis0

4.5-RELEASE FreeBSD

Thanks!
Mac McEuen