Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 09:12:12 +0000
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: installation dies om 2100: / disk full

At 19:33 29/11/2001 +0100, Wilko Bulte wrote:
> bottom of

I had this problem when installing FreeBSD 4.4 on my PWS433. I would get
through the initial install questions and as soon as it tried to write
anything to the disk, I got this error. It was not a matter of partition
size -- I was wiping the drive and putting new and ample FreeBSD partitions
on it.

Through the list, some people had heard of some BSD disklabel oddities on
Alphas that had previously had Linux installed on them (my machine had
previously had SuSE Linux installed on it). They suggested that I wipe out
the partition table. I did this using dd to copy /dev/zero over the first
few MBs of the drive, obliterating the existing partition table.

Then I put in the FreeBSD CD-ROM and everything went perfectly from there.

Good Luck.

--
  "When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there
   is in London all that life can afford." -- Samuel Johnson