Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 1995 08:43:47 -0800
From:      jkh@violet.berkeley.edu (Jordan K. Hubbard)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   fwd without comment

From: swhite@xwing.wcape.gov.za (Sean White)
Newsgroups: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: FreeBSD or Linux as a router
Date: 21 Mar 1995 15:56:40 GMT

Hi!

Could anybody give me some good reasons why I shouldn't allow people to
use PC's running FreeBSD/NetBSD or Linux as routers on our network? I'd
heard that the networking code in these O/Ss doesn't comply with various
requirements for routers.

I'd also appreciate any information regarding the following:-

	(1)	Would such a router be compatible with our present cisco
		routers?

	(2)	Would such a router be manageable remotely? If so, how?

	(3)	Our network management system uses Cabletron's SPECTRUM
		software. Would such a router have a SNMP MIB (MIB-II)
		available that could be used by SPECTRUM?

	(4)	We have taken a decision to only use OSPF as routing
		protocol on the network. Would a FreeBSD/NetBSD/Linux
		system used as a router be able to run OSPF? Would
		it be able to exchange routing information with our
		cisco routers?

	(5)	Can such a router handle IP, IPX, DEC LAT, OSI, Appletalk
		protocols? Would SDLC tunneling be supported?

	(6)	Can packet filters be put in place for IP and IPX protocols
		in particular?

	(7)	Would reconfiguration require rebooting or otherwise
		interrupting the flow of traffic on such a router?

*IF* we're to allow such systems as routers on our network then they must
comply with the standards that have already been set. I'm not about to advocate
re-configuring the network, or even portions of it, just to accommodate such
systems being used as routers.

Any and all information would be most welcome.

Best regards,
		Sean.       (swhite@gov.za)