Date:      Mon, 30 Nov 2020 10:49:41 -0500
From:      Mark Saad <nonesuch@longcount.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org, FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Pinning Threads

Hello All
I was curious about what you think of this solution to not having enough cores.
I have an 8 core server with a solarflare nic.  The Nic is a two port
card so it will have
8 queues per port.  Next I have netisr set to start 8 threads as well.
Now to get the better
performance out of pf and this box I was playing around with using
cpuset to pin the pf, isr
and sfxge threads on particular cpus.  But I think I am running into
some weird contention.
So two questions. Has anyone tried to pin netisr threads to cpu sets , eg
cpuset -t 100233 -l 3-7 , also on the same note have you ever tried
this with the device queue threads  ? Am I playing with fire ? to be
clear this is what I used to get the device threads
# procstat -ta |awk '/sfxge/ {print $2}' and what I did to get the isr
threads procstat -ta |awk '/isr/ {print $2}'

--
mark saad | nonesuch@longcount.org