Date:      Sat, 22 Nov 1997 13:21:41 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bob K <melange@europa.humberc.on.ca>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        John Preisler <john@helium.vapornet.com>, Kristian Kennaway <kkennawa@physics.adelaide.edu.au>, FreeBSD Current <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: RealPlayer 5.0

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> > The problem exists in the freebsd native raplayer, and amp, and a
>
> Uh, no it doesn't.
>
> > bunch of other sound utils.  catting something to /dev/audio works
> > though.  I get symptoms like kernel messages that say
> >
> > isa_dma_acquire: channel 5 already in use
>
> This is a misconfigured or incompatible sound card.

Well, I've just reproduced the error with my sound card and amp (which
works fine with -nobuffer; .wav's play and record fine as well with mxv).
It plays roughly 1/2 second when it just stops and the isa_dma_acquire
message pops up.  This definitely wasn't happening with the Nov. 5 snap.
I'll try the latest sources and post the results (which won't be in until
at least tomorrow ;), but I'm positive that my soundblaster 16 uses irq 5,
low DMA 1, high DMA 5, and lives at address 0x220.