Date:      Tue, 07 Apr 2020 12:20:25 -0400
From:      Adam Jimerson <vendion@gmail.com>
To:        Adam Weinberger <adamw@adamw.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Running tests in ports Makefiles?

--nextPart3025142.bT80LyP3VS

On Tuesday, April 7, 2020 11:35:38 AM EDT Adam Weinberger wrote:
> Optional tests should never be run during a normal build. There is a
> "do-test:" target for that purpose. Can you fold the test suite into
> that target?

Yeah it would be completely possible to use that target for the tests, and
thanks for pointing that out as I don't see it listed under Section 5.13.3.12
of the Porter's Handbook [0].

I just didn't know if this was common place to do so with FreeBSD ports. The
only thing I have to compare it with is Arch Linux's build system where if a
packages PKGBUILD file defines a `check` function [1] then it is called during
the build process automatically. I know comparing apples to oranges, hence why
I wanted to know what is commonplace/acceptable here.

[0]: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/
makefile-options.html
[1]: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Creating_packages#check()