Date:      Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:22:25 +0300
From:      Ion-Mihai "IOnut" Tetcu <itetcu@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org, Hajimu UMEMOTO <ume@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Resolver not always resolving hostnames

--Sig_DGAUHnd6uGgaNf/qCZ_DCqZ

On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 11:58:12 +0200
"Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

> Hey,
>=20
> I think something odd is going on in the resolver.  It seems like it
> doesn't resolve hostnames some of the time.  It's not really easily
> reproducible, but I have seen it happen several times with cvsup where
> it can't resolve the cvsup server.  If I re-run cvsup it works fine.
>=20
> I see it on recent -CURRNET's (server running cvsup below is October
> 12, system running host(1) is October 15).
>=20
> The cvsup log:
>=20
> CVSup update begins at 2006-10-18 17:29:00
> Updating from cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org
> Name lookup failure for "cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org": Host name lookup
> failed Updating local ncvs
> CVSup update ends at 2006-10-18 17:29:01
>=20
> I also seen odd things happen with host(1).  These two commands were
> run right after each other.  I don't know if it's related, but I
> suspect it is.
>=20
> $ host cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org
> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> $ host cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org
> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> mirror03.inet.tele.dk has address 195.41.53.219
> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
> cvsup3.dk.freebsd.org is an alias for mirror03.inet.tele.dk.
>=20
> I only have one name-server in resolv.conf, so the problem isn't due
> to hitting different caching name-servers.
>=20
> Initially I thought it was a local problem for me, but joel@ has seen
> the same on RELENG_6 (from July 8), and xride@ has seen the
> same/similar with csup where his workaround was to ping the cvsup
> server before running csup.
>=20
> So, has anyone seen anything similar?  Since I can't reproduce the
> issue at will I don't really know where to look for what's going on,
> and of course it could be DNS issue...

Seen the same, I believe it started sometime around 21 Jun in RELEND_6.
At the time I believed it was due to switching to pf on that machine,
but I saw it on other machines w/o pf, all running 6-STABLE, since.

It's like the resolver it is giving up to early, if after the "Name
lookup failure ..." message I hit Ctrl+C and run it again immediately
it resolves OK.

--=20

Men will always be men -- no matter where they are.
		-- Harry Mudd, "Mudd's Women", stardate 1329.8