Date:      Sun, 30 Jun 2002 19:40:24 -0700
From:      Ryan Grove <ryan@wonko.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Using PCI sound card instead of onboard sound

I'm running FreeBSD 4.6 on a system with an Asus A7M-266 motherboard.
There is a version of the A7M that includes on-board sound, however I
specifically bought the version without the on-board sound support
because I wanted to use my own sound card.

Unfortunately, my motherboard still *thinks* it has on-board sound, and
so does FreeBSD. I found a BIOS option that claims it disables the
on-board sound card, but it doesn't. FreeBSD still claims it's there. So
my question is, how do I get FreeBSD to recognize the PCI sound card
that I want it to use instead of this phantom on-board sound card that
doesn't actually exist?

In case it matters, here's the output from "dmesg|grep pcm":

pcm0: <CMedia CMI8738> port 0xa400-0xa4ff irq 10 at device 5.0 on pci0

That's the phantom on-board card. The PCI card I want to use is a Sound
Blaster Audigy.

--
Ryan Grove
ryan@wonko.com