Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 14:55:30 -0800 (PST)
From:      Gary Kline <kline@thought.org>
To:        tlambert@primenet.com (Terry Lambert)
Cc:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk, kline@thought.org, imp@village.org, jkh@time.cdrom.com, regnauld@deepo.prosa.dk, tlambert@primenet.com, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

According to Terry Lambert:
> > >According to Warner Losh:
> > >
> > >	If there are fewer than 10 gotchas, a merger still makes
> > >	sense to me.  If OpenBSD is too different from FreeBSD,
> > >	NetBSD shouldn't be.
> >
> > There are about 125 gotchas as of my last count.
>
> Any chance that these can make it to a FreeBSD WWW page somewhere?
> I left my Doctor Emmett Lanthrop Brown mindreading helmet in my
> other suit... ;-).
>

> 					Terry Lambert
> 					terry@lambert.org

	I've like to see just 10 major|minor tweaks.  Seriously.
	As will soon be known, the Tera MTA machine uses BSD.
	Our devel environment was a maze that suported 4 or 5
	separate build environments and GNU make rather than
	pmake|BSD make.

	With hacks to the Free|Net /usr/share/mk files, and some to
	the port makefiles, a single release set could support all
	flavors of BSD.  Joining 3 teams multiplies the ports and
	the usefulness of any BSD.  If we could wrap in Linux ports,
	WC could sell billions and billions of sets....but I'd be
	happy to take the simpler tack.

	gary

--
  Gary D. Kline         kline@tao.thought.org          Public service uNix