Date:      Sun, 23 Feb 1997 10:25:40 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jamie@inna.net (Jamie Bowden)
Cc:        terry@lambert.org, jehamby@lightside.com, nate@mt.sri.com, toneil@visigenic.com, jfieber@indiana.edu, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sun Workshop compiler vs. GCC?

I have just finished an install of the commercial, rathe than the
MSDN Windows95 with the driver that Jamie Bowden suggested:

	device=c:\sb16\sbcd.sys

I was incorrect about the Windows95 install process, though it took
the commercial install and this exact driver (not a fake) to trigger
it leaving a 16 bit driver in the config.sys.

I claim that I had to go way off the beaten track to confirm it, and
that it is unreasonable to expect me (or any *reasonable* person, who
would be using a SCSI CDROM drive) to have travelled that same path,
other than unwittingly.

I further claim that the fact that I was wrong is irrelevant, since
many 16 bit drivers *still* do not work "happily" without serious
changes away from the Microsoft defined Windows95 default configuration;
any driver which hooks INT 21 rather than INT 13, or the INT 27 "DOS
not busy" interrupt, will still fail.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org