Date:      Mon, 23 Feb 1998 13:01:11 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>
To:        Chris Dillon <cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us>
Cc:        "David O'Brien" <obrien@NUXI.com>, dg@root.com, "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@plutotech.com>, scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: very slow scsi performance

>not

>> >    I should mention that what I'm using on there has been quite stable as
>> > well.
>>
>> Any diffs available?

I could probably scrounge up diffs for the version of CAM that wcarchive is
running.  It would probably be better to simply generate them again once
Ken and I release the next snapshot for current.

CAM depends on just a few features of current that could be brought into
-stable.  Perhaps after 2.2.6 is cut we can do that:

1) New timeout interface
2) New buffer queuing routines that handle the B_ORDERED flag.
3) Interrupt driven config hooks.
4) cam and vm software interrupt handlers
5) bus dma code.

Getting even just a few of these pulled over would greatly simplify
the process of getting CAM to run under stable.

>I would certainly be happy to test out the CAM code in -stable as long as
>it doesn't require too much programming experience. Applying some diffs
>and making a new kernel (and/or world) is easy enough for me.  It would be
>really nice to see it in 2.2.6, but I'm just dreaming there.  Maybe as an
>experimental package, at least?

CAM needs more controller support before it can go into any release.

--
Justin