Date:      Mon, 10 Feb 2003 01:02:22 +0100
From:      Jens Rehsack <rehsack@liwing.de>
To:        Alexander <amour@amour.ath.cx>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: I'm running out of swapspace

Alexander wrote:
> Hello
>
> Recently I'm running out of swapspace.
> Is there something that I can do to increase my swapspace ?
> The best will be to take some space from partition
> like the one for /var and add it to the swap.
> Is this possible ?
> I want to ask before trying it, the machine is important.

Hi Alex,

it would be nice if you'd include some more details about your machine
and your configuration, eg. how much ram do you have, the output of
mount, the size(s) of your currently used swap areas, etc.

Usually it's a good thing start reading the man page of swapon(8). AFAIK
it's simply possible creating a file using dd(1) which is sized to the
wanted swap space to add, load it to a device using mdconfig(8) and
activate it using swapon <md?>.

You may automate it on reboots modifying your /etc/rc.local

So long,
Jens
--
L     i  W     W     W  i                 Jens Rehsack
L        W     W     W