Date:      Thu, 16 Dec 1999 22:27:45 +0100 (CET)
From:      Marc Schneiders <marc@oldserver.demon.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   old laptop: which version?

I have an old laptop (486 SX 33 with 4 MB RAM and 755MB HDD) on which
i would like to put FreeBSD. The PCMCIA-ethernet card I have with it
(some ne 2000 clone) is not recognized by the generic kernel on the
2.1.7 version of FreeBSD, the last one, as far as I know, that
installs with only 4 MB. So I will have to install over plip or take
the harddisk out and put FreeBSD on it in a desktop PC (I have the
bracket thing). My question is: which version should I install?
2.1.7.1 (which may or may not, I cannot find out, support my PCMCIA
ethernet card) or a recent version, say 3.3 (or .4), which will be
able to deal with the card, AFAIK, without problems? Will a recent
version *really* run on 4 MB??

Please, don't tell me to buy more RAM. I've tried to get it at a
reasonable price without success. This laptop needs the card type of
RAM upgrade (Toshiba), which is not to be had here second hand.

TIA!

Marc Schneiders

marc@venster.nl
marc@oldserver.demon.nl

propro         	 10:12pm  up   3 days,  22:22,  load average: 1.00 1.00 1.00