Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 2009 17:08:22 +0930
From:      Wayne Sierke <ws@au.dyndns.ws>
To:        Malcolm Kay <malcolm.kay@internode.on.net>
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why diablo-jdk?

On Thu, 2009-08-13 at 13:02 +0930, Malcolm Kay wrote:
> It seems that many (if not most) posts to this list concern the
> Diablo version of jdk.
>
> Is there some particular merit in using this in preference to the
> regular FreeBSD port -- say jdk16?
>

> Your comment is welcome,
> Malcolm

I've been meaning to pose a related question.

Why is it that in /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.java.Mk java/diablo-jdk15 is
preferred over java/jdk16? In fact the order of preference seems to be:
diablo-jdk16, diablo-jdk15, openjdk6 then jdk16 ...

I alluded to this curiosity in my recent post to freebsd-eclipse@ "java
process doesn't terminate after exiting eclipse". With the two
aforementioned java ports installed then by default:

        %java -version
        java version "1.5.0"
        Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build diablo-1.5.0-b01)
        Java HotSpot(TM) Server VM (build diablo-1.5.0_07-b01, mixed mode)

and I must set JAVA_HOME or, as I have now done, add to /etc/make.conf:

        JAVA_PREFERRED_PORTS?= JAVA_PORT_NATIVE_BSDJAVA_JDK_1_6

to get java/jdk16.

Using textproc/fop recently with both port versions I've noticed that
fop generally runs around 25% faster with java/jdk16.

I also seem to recall having read statements to the effect that the
java/diablo-jdk ports are "less functional" than the java/jdk ports
making the preference given to the former all the more curious.

Wayne