Date:      Sun, 23 May 2004 10:50:23 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Daniel Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>
To:        JG <amd64list@jpgsworld.com>
Cc:        freebsd-threads@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Why is MySQL nearly twice as fast on Linux?

On Sat, 22 May 2004, JG wrote:

> >Along with the other benchmarks it's still a little apples
> >and oranges.  I've seen different versions of mysql run
> >with different versions of FreeBSD.
>
> I'm going to stick with 4.0.20 from now for tests.
>
> Most of my tests were done on 4.0.20.
>

> >  I'd like to see the
> >same mysql version run on the same hardware with libpthread
> >and linuxthreads.
>
> I'll have to do that on the i386 install tomorrow, as Linuxthreads
> is not available for FreeBSD/AMD64.
>

> >This shows that -current (both SMP and UP) with libpthread is
> >faster than linuxthreads (different versions of FreeBSD and
> >mysql, though).
>
> For FreeBSD nothing (remote) has been faster than the i386 Linuxthreads
> test.

How does remote vs local affect the threads library?  If we're
trying to narrow down where the performance bottleneck is,
looking at the local benchmarks doesn't seem to point the
finger at the threads library.

> I'll do everything local tomorrow.
>

> >Also, if you use the default mysql config settings, then
> >FreeBSD remote vs Linuxthreads remote also wins (2685.53
> >vs. 2091.10 from earlier post).
>
> I understand what you're saying, but those numbers are horrible.

Perhaps, but this is threads@ and if we're trying to narrow
down where the bottleneck is ...

> >What modifications are you making to /etc/my.cnf and why
> >do they turn the results around the other way?
>
> I used either my-huge.cnf or no config file at all (as noted in the
> benchmarks).

Yes, but what do the entries mean?  From the looks of them,
none of them should affect how the threads library performs.
I think they affect shared memory sizes, correct me if I'm
wrong.

> Tell me all the FreeBSD tests you want to see & I'll do them if I can.

I think the tests you ran are fine, but just run them with
the same version of the OS and mysql.  Try to use -current
if possible, there were a couple of bugs in libpthread (libkse
as it was installed in 5.2-release) that affected its mysql
performance.

I think comparing local vs remote just shows how our
network stack compares with Linux.

Another thing to try is to change the my-huge.cnf settings
one by one and see how they affect FreeBSD local performance.

--
Dan Eischen