Date:      21 Mar 1997 17:57:24 +0000
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@render.com>
To:        root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel)
Cc:        smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to build a working SMP machine?

root@deadline.snafu.de (Andreas S. Wetzel) writes:

> Hi!
> ---
>
> I'm currently wondering, how one should get to a working SMP system.
> After I had tried out the SMP kernel with a recent -current, which did not
> work because of the recent Lite2 merges, I today tried to checkout
> a source tree dated Mar. 01 97 hoping to get a working and nearly
> stable system out of that sources again which would then also be runnable
> with an SMP kernel... Nope... ''make world'' fails on that tree because
> of changes to /usr/src/sys/ufs/ufs/*.h dated 10 - 11. Feb 97 which in turn
> cause at least fsck to not compile at all. The modifications to fsck which
> will make it compile again are dated Mar. 12/13 and later... So I tried
> to do a make world on that tree with the /usr/src/sys tree replaced by
> the SMP sys tree. But even that fails, cause some include files insist
> to include "smp_opt.h" which if ever seems to exist only in /sys/compile/*/...
>
> So can anyone tell me which date to check out of the CVS tree to get
> the rest working with an SMP kernel and at least compiling, and what
> is the correct order for doing a make world on that sources.
> Should I first do a make world on the sources and THEN replaces sys
> with sys-SMP, or should I replace sys with sys-SMP before compiling
> anything?

Well a swift look at the logs for a representative file
(vfs_syscalls.c) shows that the lite2 earthquake started early morning
on Monday 10th Feb 1997.  The world would never be the same.  I
suggest setting your time machine to 9 Feb 1997 to return to the
'Golden Days'.

--
Doug Rabson, Microsoft RenderMorphics Ltd.	Mail:  dfr@render.com
						Phone: +44 171 734 3761