Date:      Thu, 30 Apr 1998 18:18:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Tim Vanderhoek <ac199@hwcn.org>
To:        Josh MacDonald <jmacd@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        "Vanill I. Shu" <vanilla@MinJe.com.TW>, freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: xdelta port

On Wed, 29 Apr 1998, Josh MacDonald wrote:

> I really think this is a shortcoming in the FreeBSD ports architecture.

One of a number, I'm sure.  :-)

> before building.  Your patch doesn't work if I install a gdbm package in
> prefix A and then build xdelta with prefix B.  I was always under the

In general, if a port depends on another port, you must install
that other port from the same ports system.  I think this is a
reasonable limitation.

In general, you can only have one PREFIX (eg. you can't install
gdbm with PREFIX=/usr/local and and xdelta with
PREFIX=~hoek/bin).  This isn't a simple limitation.  It will be a
very long time before the architectural decisions and coding to
fix it will be done (if ever).  That said, it would probably
result in a ports system that is cleaner overall.

> prefixes.  Since the package manager records the location of gdbm on
> installation, it can retrieve this information and provide the right
> linker flags.

That would be a simple solution, but it'd only be a hack.  If
someone else wants to do the work, they're welcome, but I'm not
sure it's worth the investment when it is only a hack.

The correct solution moves package registration information to a
directory of PREFIX and let's the port-builder specify
directories to search for package registration information.  It
also makes -p of pkg_add(1) an undocumented option.  It also
makes a valiant and hopefully succesful attempt to remove all
references to X11BASE and LOCALBASE from the ports tree.

--
Only two other people have a .sig like this one.