Date:      Tue, 20 Jul 1999 23:14:46 -0400
From:      "James C. Durham" <durham@w2xo.pgh.pa.us>
To:        "Daniel J. O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Blade Encoder speed

"Daniel J. O'Connor" wrote:

> On 21-Jul-99 James C. Durham wrote:
> >  Asking around at work (always *totally* accurate!)
> >  I was told it should take 2 or 3 minutes.
> >
> >  This is on a P200MMX with 64 megs or RAM.
>
> You should express the compression time as a ratio of realtime to play vs
> compression time..
>
> I find I can get about 1:1 on a PII-350. I think the compressors for Windows
> are much more optmized, or so it would seem..

Hmmm.. In those terms, I'm saying that 3 minutes
of play time (using the default 128K rate) takes
about 15 minutes , or 5:1 .

I'm loathe to have to boot M$ to encode. However,
I have hundreds of hours of old audio tape I'd like
to encode before it falls apart, but at that speed,
it becomes a grueling task 8-) .

--
Jim Durham