Date:      Thu, 29 Aug 2019 20:05:06 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, fcp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FCP 20190401-ci_policy: CI policy

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 at 15:05, Rodney W. Grimes
<freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net> wrote:

> Here in lies one of the fundemental problems, this view by some that
> a "revert commit is something bad, it is kind of punishment".  That is
> not true.  Reverts are GREAT things, they allow the tree to be returned
> to a known state, usually quicly.  The original commit is STILL IN SVN,
> and a bad revert can guess what.. be reverted!.

Let me echo Rod here. I'm also very happy that this statement was made
by one of the original FreeBSD committers.

Reverting a change is not an insult, not a punishment, not something
bad - it's simply an acknowledgement that some aspect of the change
didn't meet expectations.