Date:      Thu, 12 Mar 2015 20:59:24 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to use u-boot-beaglebone port?

Has anyone successfully used the sysutils/u-boot-beaglebone port?

I managed to build [1] and install it today.  I tried to install it to =
the SD card FAT partition, as per the README, and the result was an =
unbootable system.

When I copied the u-boot.img file as u-boot.img (rather than the =
bb-uboot.img as suggested in the README), I got it to start up to the =
"U-Boot#" prompt.  However, it complained about not being able to load =
ubldr.

There isn't a ubldr installed by the u-boot-beaglebone port, so I copied =
the version from /boot/ubldr to the FAT partition.  That got it a little =
bit further, but now it hangs after reading ubldr.  This is what I get:

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D8<=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
U-Boot SPL 2014.10 (Mar 12 2015 - 14:38:55)
MMC: block number 0x100 exceeds max(0x0)
MMC: block number 0x200 exceeds max(0x0)
*** Error - No Valid Environment Area found
Using default environment

reading u-boot.img
reading u-boot.img

U-Boot 2014.10 (Mar 12 2015 - 14:38:55)

       Watchdog enabled
I2C:   ready
DRAM:  512 MiB
MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0, OMAP SD/MMC: 1
reading u-boot.env

** Unable to read "u-boot.env" from mmc0:1 **
Using default environment

Net:   <ethaddr> not set. Validating first E-fuse MAC
cpsw, usb_ether
reading uEnv.txt
Hit any key to stop autoboot:  0=20
Booting from: mmc 0 ubldr
reading ubldr
201900 bytes read in 18 ms (10.7 MiB/s)

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D>8=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

After a while, I guess the watchdog kicks in and the whole cycle =
repeats.

I guess I can always restore the FAT partition to its original state, =
but it would be nice to know how to use the u-boot-beaglebone port files =
now I have them.

Cheers,

Paul.

[1] It required removing "CPUTYPE?=3Dnative" from my make.conf before =
devel/arm-none-eabi-gcc would build.=