Date:      Tue, 1 May 2012 15:52:11 +0200
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: laptop very hot and noisy

On Tue, 1 May 2012 13:41:11 +0100, Anton Shterenlikht wrote:
> On Tue, May 01, 2012 at 08:25:11AM -0400, Alejandro Imass wrote:
> > On Tue, May 1, 2012 at 8:06 AM, Anton Shterenlikht <mexas@bristol.ac.uk> wrote:
> > > I run 10-current on Compaq 6715s.
> > > It's very hot and noisy. If I boot
> > > in verbose mode, I get lots of:
> > >
> > > acpi_tz0: _AC2: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 50.0
> > > acpi_tz0: _AC1: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 60.0
> > > acpi_tz0: _AC3: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 40.0
> > > acpi_tz0: _AC2: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 50.0
> > > acpi_tz0: _AC1: temperature 92.0 >= setpoint 60.0
> > >
> > > at the console.
> > >
> > > I guess it's telling me that the CPU is too hot?
> > >
> > > Is that normal, e.g. under "make -j4 buildworld"?
> > >

> > Probably not. I had a laptop with similar symptom when I was compiling
> > stuff. I took it apart, cleaned it and thought that maybe these log
> > messages were normal under stress. The CPU eventually fried and only
> > then I took a real close look and the heatsink had a very tiny little
> > hole where the fluid escaped, but it was not at all apparent at first
> > sight. These liquid (or gel?) filled heatsinks are basically useless
> > if the liquid escapes or evaporates so it will usually only show when
> > you are using the CPU a lot.
>
> I didn't even know they put fluid heatsinks in laptop.
> I thought this was something from IBM cutting edge power6
> chips.
>
> So I might need to pull the laptop apart..
> I'm just not sure I could put it back
> together...

Not a big issue. Make sure you can remember which parts belong where.
Make photos if it helps you, or draw some notes. If possible, find
the service manual of the device and use it as orientation. But I
think such kind of documentation is no longer part of the "end user
book present". :-)

I've been lucky exploring that my "new" Lenovo Thinkpad T61p can be
easily disassembled up to the CPU region and the cooling units
without trouble, and with _standard_ tools, and you don't need
to eviscerate _all_ the bowels of the device in order to make
your way to that component.

--
Polytropon
Magdeburg, Germany