Date:      Sun, 22 Aug 1999 17:17:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
To:        roberto@keltia.freenix.fr (Ollivier Robert)
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: getting passwored data via a perl cgi

> According to Colin Eric Johnson:
> > Is there a way to allow other users access to complete password database?
> > I understand, basically, why this is restricted but I'm not sure how else
> > to solve this given FreeBSDs restrictions.
>
> Either you make it setuid root or you wipe up a daemon that runs as root and
                                        wip?
> make your script discuss with the daemon. The daemon could cache entries for
> example (although pwd lookups should be fast thanks to the DB files).

You can find a program used by cyrus for just what you are trying to
do in ports/mail/cyrus, it's called pwcheck.  There are probably some
others around, this is just one that I ran accross recently.

IMHO making your cgi script suid root would be asking for a security
breach some day, probably sooner than latter.   Cyrus is a a large
daemon, but it took this route for dealing with this problem for good
reasons.

--
Rod Grimes - KD7CAX - (RWG25)                    rgrimes@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net