Date:      Fri, 22 May 1998 16:33:37 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        randal@comtest.com
Cc:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>, freebsd-small@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Embeded applications?

> On 22 May 98 at 15:55, Mike Smith wrote:
>
> > boot1/boot2 have no internal disk drive support - they depend entirely
> > on the BIOS to read the disk from which they are trying to boot.
> >
> > So yes, all you need to do is duplicate the boot image on the flash
> > disk.
>
> BTW, the flash disk is access as drive=0x80, a hard drive.  Are there any
> issues with boot1/boo2 accessing it as drive=0x80 ?

Not as long as it looks more-or-less like a hard drive, no.

> do you have any ideas on how I can transfer the image over to flash?
> or do you still think I can use diskcopy?

You're right, discopy won't do the job.  It's sounding like you're
going to have to write your own tool for this job.

Are you in a position to write trivial real-mode DOS utilities?

> > > Yes, although I have 8MB Flash memory to play with.
> >
> > In this case, you might want to consider writing a driver that knows
> > how to talk directly to the flash.  This would let you use the parts of
> > the flash that aren't holding the boot image to store parameter
> > information.
>
> That would be ideal.  Any ideas on where to start ?
> Actually the flash is composed of two 4MB NAND chips soldered on the main board.
> And I can partition the chips as two separate 4MB drives.

The separate partitioning would be a good idea.  In conjunction with a
custom tool, this would let you have a 4MB boot image and 4MB data
store.

>  However, Mesa
> Electronics wrote their own BIOS support for them.  I need to check with them if
> they are willing to give out the specs for accessing the flash chips directly.

If not, it may be possible to go the BIOS route.

> > > BTW, Mike the PC/104 board that I am using is from Mesa Electronics
> > > 4c27 which is using the Crystal CS8900 ethernet chip.  Do you know if
> > > anyone is working on a driver for this chip?
> >
> > Yes, I have a driver here waiting for me to obtain a suitable IBM
> > ethernet card for testing.  It's designed for the IBM Etherjet cards,
> > but it should work Just Fine.
> >
> > Let me know if/when you want it, and I'll put it up for fetching.  I
> > hope to have the hardware involved next week.
>
> Great!  Will it work with 2.2.6 Release ?

It was written for 2.2.6-RELEASE, yes.

> I would like to try it out asap, I am trying to meet some deadlines for this
> project.  I could do some test for you as well.

Sure.  It's at http://www.freebsd.org/~msmith/if_cs.tar.gz

The authors are Maxim Bolotin <max@rnd.runnet.ru> and Oleg Sharoiko.
They've been maintaining the driver for over a year now, and it's in
heavy daily use, so I expect that it will work for you prettymuch as-is.