Date:      Sun, 23 Jan 2000 21:24:19 -0500 (EST)
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>
To:        Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
Subject:   Re: With feature freeze being in place

<<On Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:11:12 +1100, Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au> said:

> Comparing LINT and GENERIC is made more difficult by the significantly
> different ordering.  Is there some good reason for this, or would an
> offer of GENERIC re-written into the same order as LINT be accepted?

Speaking as the person who attempted to impart some semblance of order
to LINT after it last outgrew its britches....  LINT was organized so
as to group related devices together, along with their options.  It is
not particularly attempting to ape GENERIC (or vice versa!) but was
rather organized so as to assist Jane User in locating the obscure
option she needs to make the mumblefrotz driver gronkulate properly.

Of course, at the same time, it's also trying to be a tool to enhance
test coverage.

So, generally speaking, options that users might need to set should be
described near the devices or subsystems to which they pertain.
Options that users don't need to set shouldn't exist at all.  In
general, the descriptions should be succinct and descriptive in
nature; for more information, the user should be directed to a manual
page.  (IWBRNI the config manual were updated with information about
how config works now, and descriptions of all the options and devices
were added.  Any troff weenies out there looking to make a heroic
landing on SMM:02 atoll?)

> Also, what is the best approach to submitting documentation for the
> `undocumented' options in LINT?

Organized them usefully, and send in one giant patch.  Then nag people
for a few months (updating the giant patch as required to merge
changes) until it gets committed.

-GAWollman