Date:      Wed, 15 Mar 1995 12:20:30 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Dufault <dufault@hda.com>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: SCSI probe cleaned up

Rodney W. Grimes writes:

> > I've commited the scsi sense printouts and as promised cleaned up
> > the scsi probes.
> >
> > Please take a look at how your probe messages look and let me know
> > if any of them are broken.
> >
> > One note:  I've had a suggestion from Rod that the probe print out like
> > this:
> >
> > > (aha0:0:0): bla-bla
> >
> > instead of this:
>
> Can we make that
> aha0:0:0: bla-bla
> the parenthesis serve no usefull purpose :-).

If we grunge around in the implementation we see what purpose it
serves: simplicity.

>	if (strcmp(sc_link->device->name, "probe") != 0)
>		printf("%s%d", sc_link->device->name, sc_link->dev_unit);
>
>	printf("(%s%d:%d:%d): ", sc_link->adapter->name, sc_link->adapter_unit,
>		sc_link->target, sc_link->lun);

So "probe" is now a reserved host adapter name and the new PROBE-1000
driver will not work properly.

(Magic names?   Not in header files but repeated in two places?
Oh-oh, someone else is going to bring me before the Software World Court)

Peter

--
Peter Dufault               Real Time Machine Control and Simulation
HD Associates, Inc.         Voice: 508 433 6936