Date:      Wed, 28 Apr 1999 22:26:05 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Archie Cobbs <archie@whistle.com>
To:        schwenk@math.udel.edu (Peter Schwenk)
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Using An Adtran Express 3000 TA for MPPP

Peter Schwenk writes:
> I've got an Adtran Express 3000 TA that I'm using for Internet access.
> Allegedly it is capable of Multilink PPP.  Me being very new to ISDN, I
> cannot conceive of how this works.  Is the Adtran itself performing the
> PPP protocol functions, or is it the (Windows/Mac) software that came
> bundled with it?  My guess is that the Adtran has the protocol built
> into its firmware.  But, if this is so, what is the format of the data
> that is coming from/to the Adtran via the serial port?
>
> I'm currently using the Adtran as a "modem" with FreeBSD's userland
> PPP.  But, it seems like once Multilink PPP was involved the Adtran
> would be performing the PPP duties instead of the software.
>
> It seems that I am unable to use the Adtran for PPP with two combined B
> channels with the current software.  Am I understanding the situation
> correctly?  I would prefer to stick with FreeBSD when using the Adtran.

What the TA is doing is simply pretending to be a modem. So FreeBSD and
whatever PPP code is running on your PC thinks it's a modem, with AT
commands and the whole bit. But really it's doing multi-link PPP. It
doesn't have a complete PPP stack on it, just enough to "spoof" between
the two devices it's talking to.

So yes you should be able to do 2 B channels, assuming you send
it the right AT commands.

-Archie