Date:      Fri, 14 Apr 2000 01:21:04 -0600
From:      Warner Losh <imp@village.org>
To:        "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Setting device options

In message <38F64FAF.4D3BEAEF@lucent.com> "Gary T. Corcoran" writes:
: I'm sorry, but I don't know what "hints" are.  Can you briefly explain
: (to start)?

OK.  hints are what are set by the isa hints driver.  I have a driver
that will set these at boot, but it isn't quite ready to be
distributed.  Your best bet is to put environment variables in
/boot/loader.conf.

: As to sysctls, not available until after driver loading: I believe
: that I need to know, before I reach the end of my attach routine, whether
: I'm going to be in a LAN mode or a WAN mode, so I know whether
: to do an ether_attach() or an sppp_attach().  So does that rule out
: sysctls?

Likely.

This whole area is really weak in FreeBSD and should be beefed up.

Warner