Date:      Tue, 8 Apr 1997 18:05:29 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew Perry <andrew@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        craig bradney <trustno1@revealed.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd

> what exact files will i need to install freebsd on my machine? i have

To install over the internet you will only need the boot floppy (i use
rawrite.exe but fdimage.exe might be the same kind of thing?)
have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/install.html for detailed
instructions.

You are then prompted to setup your hard disk, select distributions etc...
and finally connect to the ftp site and it will download everything.

Making a floppy installation set is a fairly painful chore I found but it
does work. If you wanted just the bin and manpages distributions you would
copy bin.inf, bin.aa, bin.ab, bin.ac, bin.ad, bin.ae onto first diskette
into the bin dir, bin.af etc... on the second and so on. On the last
diskette of the bin distribution put the manpages.inf file in the manpages dir
and then put the distribution files in the same dir.

The only problem is that after going through this chore if a new release
comes along you have to do it all again. I only did this because I was
having problems with the ppp connection. Once I worked out what i'd done
wrong I stuck to downloading just the boot floppy and installing over the
net.

> the boot floppy image file and the fdimage.exe is this all or do i need
> more? i would like to download as much of the freebsd os and put it onto
> a floppy disk as a backup incase i should ever need to reload. if you
> will tell me what i need to get from the ftp site i would greatly
> appreciate it

If you are worrying about machine failure and reloading I've found that
software is always easy to reload from the original. If you are going to
be doing a lot of customisation or creating a lot of data then you need to
think about doing backups.

> thank you
>
> craig

hope this helps