Date:      Wed, 13 Jun 2001 10:22:52 -0700
From:      "Crist Clark" <crist.clark@globalstar.com>
To:        Brendan Murphy <bmurphy@carbon.cudenver.edu>
Cc:        Evren Yurtesen <yurtesen@ispro.net.tr>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Jamie Norwood <mistwolf@mushhaven.net>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HTTP and FTP

Brendan Murphy wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, Crist Clark wrote:
>
> > Evren Yurtesen wrote:
> > >
> > > I wonder if it is possible in HTTP to make users login to their home dirs
> > > automaticly and when they put files it goes in with their uid,gid and of
> > > course they will login with their own passwords? etc. =)
> >
> > It should not be terribly difficult.
>
> It should (obviously) go without saying that you should _NOT_ use
> /etc/passwd or the like as a basis for your authentication.

With most current HTTP servers, something like a htpasswd file is already
more common. However, if we are comparing to FTP, many FTP daemons, the
ftpd(8) with FreeBSD included, only use /etc/passwd, system users, for
authentication. In that case, why would using /etc/passwd be so much
worse than the status quo? FTP only passes the password across the
Internet in cleartext once per control session whereas you'd be doing
it with every request in HTTP, but then again, HTTP over SSL is well
established and standardized. FTP over SSL is a PITA for a lot of the
same reasons FTP is a pain through firewalls (which was the genesis of
this flam^H^H^H^H^H long thread).
--
Crist J. Clark                                Network Security Engineer
crist.clark@globalstar.com                    Globalstar, L.P.

The information contained in this e-mail message is confidential,
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  If
the reader of this e-mail is not the intended recipient, or the employee
or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying
of this communication is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
e-mail in error, please contact postmaster@globalstar.com