Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 23:03:26 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Andrew G. Russell" <arussell@tyr.agrknives.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   attack or failure

Last night, a system that has been running FreeBSD 2.1.5 for a number of
years with the last upgrade being sendmail 8.8.4 being added.

Three filesystems were cleared out, I don't know if newfs or rm -rf * were
used on them.

the filesystems were /x(local/src/obj...) /var /tmp
the of course covers up the track quite nicely.

the mod times on /tmp is May 18 21:09, on /var  May 18 21:09 and on /x
May 18 21:33

this being an old system, when I could not get at the /x filesystem, I rebooted.

This system will be upgraded to 2.2.8, but I sure would like some clue as
to how it happened.

Thanks in advance for any help/thoughts.

A.G. Russell