Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 1995 16:28:51 +0930 (CST)
From:      Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        maher@azstarnet.com (maher katbah)
Cc:        majordomo@braae.ru.ac.za, questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: configuring BSD

maher katbah stands accused of saying:

> What is the specific line I need to add to /etc/ttys to setup the modem,
> assuming that I want to connect it to cuaa1? and is there any thing else I
> need to do in the server to be able to dial in from a differant computer?
> also can I call from DOS computer to the server?

There's a sample entry in /etc/ttys, with a leading '#' all set up already
for a dialin line. (ttyd1, not cuaa1)

> What is the name of the program that will allow me to  dial out ?

Providing you don't have a getty on the port (ie. the line in /etc/ttys
has been commented out and init restarted), you can just say

cu -s 38400 -l /dev/cuaa1

> Do I really need CSU/DSU, terminal server, and router to be an ISP, or can I
> just use a modembank instead of the terminal server?

You can indeed use a pile of modems and a multiport card or so to run a
dialin server.

> Thank you

I really think you ought to spend a little money on a book on rudimentary
system administration before getting too carried away.

> maher

]] High-speed data acquisition and                                      [[
]] realtime instrument control          (ph/fax) +61-8-267-3039         [[
]] My car has "demand start" -Terry Lambert  UNIX: live FreeBSD or die! [[