Date:      Sat, 21 Jan 2017 21:47:11 +0330
From:      Hooman Fazaeli <hoomanfazaeli@gmail.com>
To:        Kevin Bowling <kevin.bowling@kev009.com>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: RFC: ethctl

On 2017-01-20 07:28, Kevin Bowling wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I'm casting a wide net in cc, try to keep the noise minimal but we need
> some input from a variety of HW vendors.
>
> I have heard from several vendors the need for a NIC configuration tool.
>   Chelsio ships a cxgb/cxgbetool in FreeBSD as one example.  There is
> precedence for some nod toward a basic unified tool in Linux ethtool.
>
>  From your perspective,
> 1) What are the common requirements?
> 2) What are specialized requirements? For instance as a full TCP offload
> card Chelsio needs things others wont
> 3) What should it _not_ do?  Several of you have experience doing Ethernet
> driver dev on many platforms so we should attempt to avoid repeating past
> design mistakes.
>
> I expect we can achieve some level of inversion so the device specific code
> can live close to the driver and plug into the ethctl framework.  It should
> be general enough to add completely new top level commands, so vendors can
> implement HW specific features.  On the other hand, we should attempt to
> hook into common core for features every NIC provides, with a focus on
> iflib.
>
> I will fund Matt Macy to do the overall design and implementation.
>
> Regards,
> Kevin Bowling, on behalf of Limelight Networks for this effort

I always wished FreeBSD had a device-independent tool/API which could be used to query a
device's Ethernet specific statisticssuch ascollisions, symbol/sequence/CRC/alignment errors,
missed packets, giants & runts,link state IRQs, mbuf allocation fails, ... which are
valuable for monitoring and diagnostics (BTW, I am aware that some drivers export a
few counters via sysctl interface, but what I am talking about is a standardized set
of counters available for _all_ Ethernet devices).

--
Best regards
Hooman Fazaeli