Date:      Tue, 23 Jan 2001 11:55:46 +0100
From:      Thierry.Herbelot@alcatel.fr
To:        Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG, admin@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
Subject:   Re: passwd (still) broken in NIS environments

Do you have the same crypting algorithm on both ends ?
(FreeBSD recently went to MD5 as a standard - Solaris most
likely is still using DES)

     TfH

Gerald Pfeifer <pfeifer@dbai.tuwien.ac.at> on 23/01/2001 11:40:07

 To:      freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG

 cc:      admin@dbai.tuwien.ac.at(bcc: Thierry
          HERBELOT/FR/ALCATEL)

Not a single reply. Folks, this *is* a serious problem.

We *are* willing to help anyone willing to fix this, but we just cannot
fix every problem by ourself (even though we do try to help wherever
possible, e.g. by providing FreeBSD portability patches for other software.)

Gerald