Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 2020 13:09:55 -0700
From:      Chris <bsd-lists@BSDforge.com>
To:        freebsd-net <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "Rodney W. Grimes" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>, Jaap Akkerhuis <jaap@nlnetlabs.nl>, Andriy Gapon <avg@freebsd.org>, Ryan Steinmetz <zi@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: unbound and (isc) dhcpd startup order

On Wed, 17 Jun 2020 10:33:59 -0700 (PDT) Rodney W=2E Grimes freebsd-rwg@gndrs=
h=2Ednsmgr=2Enet said

> >=20
> > On (06/16/20 08:14), Rodney W=2E Grimes wrote:
> >>Ok, well, I just thought of one and not sure if it is an issue or not,
> >>doesng unbound have the ability to specify interfaces?  If so those
> >>may not exist until NETWORKING has run?
> > >
> >=20
> > Unbound isn't really going to do anything useful without the network=2E  =
I=20
> > don't think it is unreasonable that it should depend on NETWORKING=2E
>=20
> Well then the current setup for local_unbound is counter to that,
> as it is BEFORE: NETWORKING
>=20
> > I think we're in an edge case here and, perhaps, a better solution migh=
t=20
> > be to have someone(tm) add in support in rc=2Econf to specify dependency=
=20
> > overrides=2E
>=20
> dns and configuration are a chicken/egg problem, not really an edge
> case, and a person must make a decision as to how to deal with that=2E
>=20
> >=20
> > So, perhaps you could set:
> >=20
> > dhcpd_after=3D"unbound"
> >=20
> > Which would factor into the rcorder processing and make sure that dhcpd=
=20
> > starts after unbound=2E
> >=20
> > This would allow people to fine-tune things when they run into cases=20
> > like this=2E
>=20
> Even beside the unbound problem, this is a good idea=2E  It would
> fix my "I need ipfw before routing as without ipfw my ospf packets
> get blocked and things take much longer to come up problem=2E"
Honestly=2E I'm really inclined to agree with Rodney=2E rcorder should
really be a more fine-grained utility=2E
What about something like:
BEFORE: NETWORKING: pf
or
BEFORE: NETWORKING: ipfw
or
BEFORE: NETWORKING: unbound
etc, etc=2E=2E=2E
I think there *may* be a better direction=2E *But* this, at least
should be an easy direction to add with few repercussions=2E Yes?

--Chris