Date:      Tue, 22 Oct 1996 10:59:08 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        proff@suburbia.net (Julian Assange)
Cc:        imp@village.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: libc string routines don't check for NULL pointers

> > str*cmp and friends should be hard asses about this and should give
> > the programer a nice core file when this happens, subject to local
> > security constraints.  NULL pointer checking can slow down these
> > routines, but I've never seen numbers to back up speed differences.
> >
> > Just my humble opinion from about 10 years of doing this stick.
> > Others may disagree.
>
> No need to do this, just make sure the vm system never maps page 0.

Actually, it should be noted that SVR4 will map an empty page 0 on
first fault (hiding subsequent faults entilrely) as a backward
compatability "trick" for bogus programs.

It's actually possible to turn this "feature" off using an undocumented
compile-time option.  Only problem is, some of the bogus programs are
system programs.  SVR4 needs to be run through Purify.  8-(.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.