Date:      14 Feb 96 21:31:15 JST
From:      T0682740@pmail.tepco.co.jp
To:        terry@lambert.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VM question

Hi,

> The Usenix papers are generally available for anonymouse FTP, both by
> the authors home site, and from the Usenix SAGE group ftp site.  The
> SAGE FTP site is:  ftp://ftp/sage.usenix.org/

Unfortunately they don't hold the latest papers. Only up to 1994 or
so.

> FreeBSD does not have a mach VM system any more.  The MACH VM system
> does not operate (implicitly) on a unified buffer cache scheme.  Cache
> unification is an important win.

Is there any paper about unified buffer cache scheme?

> You could implement an external demand pager on the basis of trapping
> the SIGSEGV signal, and implementing mapping of resources as a result;
> you would robably be better off providing a kernel interface, however,
> since you would have to coalesce domains to keep the number of entries
> small enough to avoid problems.

Actually, I'd like to implement a sort of DSM that provides
page-in/out over the network transparently to the user process.

> There are a couple of Usenix papers on this technique as well; other
> papers are available at the CS department of Washington State University's
> FTP server.

I haven't checked this yet but I'll try it. Thanks!

---
Motonori Shindou