Date:      Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:26:03 -0800
From:      lists <lists@lists.grot.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   syslog changes in 4.2-stable?

I have some odd syslog behaviour wrt the perl Sys::Syslog module. Since I can
only reproduce the problem on 4.2-STABLE boxes, I think this is the right
place to bring it up.

I have an exceedingly simple perl script that simulates the behaviour of the
command:

  logger -p 'user.crit' "this is another test"

on all machines I have tested the perl script, the above command has been
verified to work from the local command line, so I know that syslog.conf and
the syslogd options are "sane".

#!/usr/bin/perl -w
use strict;
local $| = 1;

use Sys::Syslog;
openlog('test', 'cons,pid', 'user');
syslog('crit', "this is another test");
closelog();

the above perl snippet works under:

  SunOS 5.7
  This is perl, version 5.004_04 built for sun4-solaris

  FreeBSD 3.3-RELEASE
  This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd

but does NOT work under any of 4 machines all running:

  FreeBSD 4.2-STABLE
  This is perl, version 5.005_03 built for i386-freebsd

all CVSup'd this past week.

For those who care, I've removed the -w, use strict and $| = 1 to no avail.
I've also rerun h2ph on /usr/include/{*,sys/*,machine/*} for good measure
(though it looks like most of the .ph files are now kept in
/usr/libdata/perl/5.00503/mach).

I also thought that setting

  Sys::Syslog::setlogsock('inet');

explictly might help. It didn't.

Suggestions? (Pointers to a perl list where I should submit this are also welcome)

Thanks,
Adi