Date:      Sun, 11 Aug 2002 05:15:35 -0500
From:      Will Andrews <will@csociety.org>
To:        Simon 'corecode' Schubert <corecode@corecode.ath.cx>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org, portmgr@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: alpha proposal: port options

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 04:11:39PM +0200, Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
> hi porters & mgrs!
>
> as i promised some weeks ago, here it is: the port options proposal:
> web repo:
> http://corecode.ath.cx/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ports/options/
> tarball:
> http://corecode.ath.cx/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/ports/options/options.tar.gz?tarball=1
>
> the existing stuff is somehow minimal, as it only supports binay
> (yes/no) options and option groups. more to come, the base is finished.
>
> i'd like to hear comments. but please no bikeshedding - if you think the
> file format is poo, implement a better one and provide patches, then we
> can agree on one.
>
> for the bsd.port.mk integration... i need some help with that because
> i'm not really a makefile guru. i got some patches here to start with
> but at the moment it doesn't work, please contact me direct on that
> issue.
>
> for all others to play with it:
> invoke the program with:
> portopt [-f | -n] [-s savedopt] [-o destmk] optfile1 [optfile2 ...]
> -f force dialog
> -n never show dialog. read saved options (if any) and write makefile.
> -s saved options file. being read and written
> -o destination makefile
> optfile(s) are where the options are read from. the first is the main
>    options file, supplementary can be specified to add features. if this
>    seems broken design, please tell me.
>
> included are 2 option files: pkg-options is a test file using the
> options my mail/sylpheed-claws port provides. pkg-options2 is a
> additional file which could be added by bsd.gnome.mk (for example) to
> automatically add gnome support.
>
> thanks for reading, please supply me with lots of feedback.

Looks very interesting.  How exactly is the c++ code going to get
compiled here?  Did you want to throw this in usr.sbin/pkg_install?
Note this means it will require a C++ compiler.  Not that it's a
problem for me, but it may result in delayed ports/packages
support for new platforms etc., unless this stuff is made optional
in bsd.port.mk itself.  The large use of exceptions in particular
will most likely add to this difficulty.

Also, if I do say so myself, that's some nice C++ code.  Strict
namespace enforcement, style(9) compliance (AFAICT), and
generally very easy to read.

I'm not going to try out this code for a few days, as I'm moving
around and stuff.  You'll still need to offer some idea on how
you see the portopt program being utilized, as I've said before,
so it shouldn't matter anyway.

Regards,
--
wca