Date:      Thu, 08 Mar 2001 08:29:08 -0600
From:      seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: if_fxp status?

In message <59063B5B4D98D311BC0D0001FA7E4522026D7C92@l04.research.kpn.com>, "Ko
ster, K.J." writes:
>What does the message "unsupported PHY" mean?

There's this gizmo that handles the actual physical network connection; it's
called a PHY.  It must be very expensive to make, and very cheap to design,
because ethernet card vendors go through them in bundles.  :)

>How would one go about tracking down the properties of the PHY?

One would be a large commercial organization capable of signing an NDA.
:)

>How does Linux/NetBSD/OpenBSD/Windows/Solaris solve this?

I can't speak for all of the others; NetBSD may or may not have the PHY
in question working.  Can someone tell me exactly what it is?  I can't
leak source (probably), but I might be able to confirm whether or not BSD/OS
has it working - and if not, I can ask the guy who does our driver about
it, and he may be able to get docs.

What PHY exactly is this?  When was it first introduced?  I can tell you
that BSDi support isn't getting a whole lot of requests about it, so I
*suspect* it's supported.

-s