Date:      Tue, 3 Dec 2019 15:57:27 +0100
From:      Hans Petter Selasky <hps@selasky.org>
To:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, Matthew Macy <mmacy@freebsd.org>
Subject:   [IFLIB] When system runs out of mbufs incoming network traffic stops entirely

Hi,

It appears iflib has a little defect. When the system temporarily runs
out of mbufs, iflib based network drivers stop receiving packets
forever, even when the mbuf zone recover.

In mlx5en(4) which doesn't use iflib we have a special watchdog/callout
to retry filling the RX DMA ring when we are out of mbufs. Can iflib do
the same?

> [zone: mbuf_cluster] kern.ipc.nmbclusters limit reached

Simply doing "ifconfig down" and "ifconfig up" recovers the adapter:

> igb0: link state changed to DOWN
> igb0: link state changed to UP

--HPS