Date:      Mon, 31 May 2010 23:33:45 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "M. Warner Losh" <imp@bsdimp.com>
To:        yanefbsd@gmail.com
Cc:        rdivacky@freebsd.org, current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Importing clang/LLVM into FreeBSD HEAD

In message: <AANLkTikX-VNFgZUVH4-cEviKDjSLqqJRAhjevDQD-kfl@mail.gmail.c=
om>
            Garrett Cooper <yanefbsd@gmail.com> writes:
: On Mon, May 31, 2010 at 11:33 AM, M. Warner Losh <imp@bsdimp.com> wro=
te:
: > In message: <20100531161713.GA60782@freebsd.org>
: =

: [...]
: =

: > There's more context here too. =A0To improve the support of various=

: > architectures, we're planning on doing two things. =A0First, we're
: > updating binutils to the latest gplv2 version. =A0This will solve m=
any
: > problems. =A0There's some other plans in this area as well, but the=

: > summary is basically integrating some important vendor patches.
: > Second, we're planning to have the ability to use an external, perh=
aps
: > vendor supplied, tool chain. =A0You can kludge this together today,=
 but
: > it is tedious and difficult.
: =

: This in and of itself is an interesting prospect. Why would happen if=

: one could drop in icc for instance :) (I realize that it's basically
: gcc-compatible, but can this be done today without a lot of rework an=
: effort)?

This is more about dropping in different assemblers, linkers, etc,
than picking icc.  CC=3Dxxx is relatively easy.  It gets harder if you
don't want to use the in-tree toolchain.  Especially when cross
building...

Warner