Date:      Tue, 06 Apr 2010 14:27:49 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        Justin Hibbits <jrh29@alumni.cwru.edu>
Cc:        FreeBSD PowerPC ML <freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ppc64 snapshot

Justin Hibbits wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 1:22 PM, Nathan Whitehorn
> <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org <mailto:nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>> wrote:
>
>     Justin Hibbits wrote:
>
>         I just got my hands on a dual-core G5 (Late 2005), and want to
>         throw
>         -CURRENT on it.  Is there a snapshot available with the recent
>         ppc64 changes
>         that I could test out?
>
>         - Justin
>

>     I just finished implementing the last missing feature in the
>     64-bit PowerPC port, and there are no more 64-bit-specific bugs
>     that I know about. Once M. Warner Losh's build system changes are
>     in the tree, I will submit a final patch set for review, and merge
>     it to head, but the port should be completely usable at this point.
>
>     System Compatibility:
>     - Apple G5 machines
>
>     Caveats:
>     - Do not run ofwdump on an SMP system, as it can cause hangs (also
>     a 32-bit bug)
>     - Many ports (e.g. X and GTK) need patches not currently in the
>     ports tree to compile, since this is a new platform
>
>     Instructions:
>     svn co http://svn.freebsd.org/base/projects/ppc64
>     cd ppc64
>     make buildworld buildkernel installkernel installworld
>     distribution DESTDIR=/path/to/installation TARGET_ARCH=powerpc64
>
>     I would appreciate any feedback or tests, as well as testing on
>     32-bit Book-E systems to make sure I did not break anything. Many
>     thanks to Andreas Tobler for his tireless testing efforts during
>     development of this port.
>     -Nathan
>

> This is awesome.  I'm building it now to test (at least what I can,
> without the U4 attachment).
You might want to svn up. My last IFC accidentally pulled in a
work-in-progress bit of the Playstation 3 loader, which broke the build.
That is fixed now.
> Will those ports build and work correctly if built as ppc32, rather
> than ppc64?
I don't know about the X server, but everything else should. The patch
to the X server, however, is just to edit Makefile and have it apply the
same hacks it already applies on PPC32 for PPC64.

In general, the same caveats apply to 32-bit compatibility on PPC as on
amd64. The compatibility on PPC is actually a little better (cc -m32
works), but things are similar beyond that.
-Nathan