Date:      Sun, 11 May 1997 19:35:20 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@mailhost.coppe.ufrj.br>
Cc:        fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: NFS between 2.2.1 and 2.1.7.1

On Sun, 11 May 1997, Joao Carlos Mendes Luis wrote:

> Hi,
>
>   I've recently upgraded some of my NFS clients from FreeBSD 2.1.7 to
> FreeBSD 2.2.1-R.  The server is too important to risc an upgrade right
> now.  Also, on both systems I also upgraded from ethernet 10M (ne2000
> and DEC 21040) to ethernet 100M (3c905).  The hardware change some weeks
> after upgrading the OS version.

I have fixed a number of bugs in NFS since 2.2.1 was released.  I haven't
yet merged the fixes into the 2.2 branch but they certainly make 3.0 a lot
more stable for heavy use of NFS, both NFSv2 and NFSv3.

If you are not already, you should track the 2.2 branch with CVSup and
watch for the NFS fixes when I commit then (in a week or two probably).

> The client seems to be locked at the "nfsrcv" resource, when it should be
> at "nfsidl".  It's not a network problem (at least, not a permanent one),
> since I can still telnet or everywhere.
>
> I shall try to change the nics and maybe the network cable (it's not
> a very good one), but this really looks like a software problem.

If that doesn't work, use 'tcpdump -vv -s300 port nfs' to get a packet
trace and maybe we can figure out what is broken.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com