Date:      Wed, 22 Aug 2001 14:00:20 +0100
From:      Dave Ryan <dave.ryan@eircom.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: kerberosIV

> anyone here running kerberosIV?

Is there any particular reason why you are running KerberosIV? I would advise
using V (either MIT or Heimdel)

> I issue kinit <username>, but after a while kinit responds
> with :
>
> kinit: Retry count exceeded (send_to_kdc)

Basically this mean that kinit can't find the server, double check your
krb.conf files and all other conf files to make sure there are correct entries
for your domain etc. Also check to make sure there is an entry for the KDC in
whatever you are using for name resolution (/etc/hosts or DNS?).

There is quite a bit of documentation for KerberosV and its quite easy to
setup, I would suggest moving to that if you have no specific reason for
using kerberosIV. Heimdal is in the ports.

Regards.

--
Dave Ryan		Computer Incident Response Team
dave.ryan@eircom.net	Eircom Multimedia