Date:      Thu, 20 Jul 1995 00:42:25 -0400 (EDT)
From:      jan@bagend.atl.ga.us (Jan Isley)
To:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au (Michael Smith)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Questions)
Subject:   Re: basic no network setup question

Michael Smith wrote:

> resolv.conf is described in the 'resolver' manual page; it points to
> local nameservers.  No, what you did with /etc/host.conf is correct, with
> a hosttable-only configuration like yours you don't want to try looking
> for a nameserver.

Okay, I bought Nemeth, the red book, and a light is slowly starting
to shine. :)  As I read things so far, *if* I had a /etc/resolv.conf
it should be empty?

> One of the most trying things with a BSD unix is getting it to be happy
> without a network 8)

Would *BSD be happier without a NIC card at all, or with one that was
not connected to anyone else?  Or equally unhappy either way? ;)
--
Jan Isley              Nothing is permanent.  Everything Changes.
jan@bagend.atl.ga.us   That's the one thing we know for sure in this world.