Date:      Sun, 14 Jan 2007 21:57:18 -0700
From:      "Steve Franks" <stevefranks@ieee.org>
To:        "FreeBSD Users Questions" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ide/pata: change from sec/slave to pri/mater corrupt fstab, no keyboard & other mysteries

So I'm feeling pretty stupid,

My system is dead because I changed my disk from the secondary to the
primary ide controller.  Boots, "can't mount" yada, yada. No problem, but I
can't type when it says "ufs:<> ... i.e. da0s1..mountprompt>".  Ok, so I put
it back, edit fstab, reboot.  Ooops, yours truly put a typo in fstab, now it
won't boot at all, because I can't type at the manual-mount prompt.

Question1: Why?  I can hit F1 from the loader, and I can choose 1-5 from the
beastie menu, so the damn keyboard is, in fact, working, but no text from
the mount prompt when I type.  I suppose the obvious answer is that
something in my boot process disables my keyboard (though I could also type
just fine when I booted origonally in safemode on the secondary slave
cable).  Did the obvious and tried a different brand/connector/etc for the
keyboard.

Question2: Led me down this path in the first place: why does the system
freeze up solid after the ehci hardware message when you boot off the
secondary slave disk? Obvious answer, it's doing something ugly with the
ata_dma (because that's one of the very few things disabled in safe mode).
Boot in safe mode or put the disk as primary master, and voila, no freeze!
(Only my fstab is now messed up [compounding matters: the brand new harddisk
with the extra-tight connector ripped one plug off my cheapo pata cable, so
I can't plug the cdrom back in and start from scratch.])

Question3: Anyone qualified to tell me if question2 is legitimate bug-report
material, or expected behavior?

Yeach.  What a mess.  Typical sunday.  I can hope for an even better monday,
no doubt ;)

Thanks, all,
Steve